Sailor Saturn is one of the four Outer Senshi of the Solar System, and was the tenth Sailor Senshi to be introduced in the manga. Her civilian identity is Hotaru Tomoe. Her attacks are based around silence and destruction, death, and rebirth; she has the ability to annihilate a planet and even an entire star system, as well as resetting the evolution of the same to zero and powers granted by her Silence Glaive. This is the original depiction of the character created by Naoko Takeuchi.
Sailor Saturn awakens with the power of the three Talismans: the Garnet Orb, the Space Sword, and the Deep Aqua Mirror. When Pharaoh 90 began to overwhelm the Sailor Senshi, and Super Sailor Moon had jumped into him hoping to unleash the immense healing power of the Silver Crystal to destroy him. The three talismans then reacted and Sailor Saturn fully awoke from her longtime slumber within Hotaru, driving out the evil Mistress 9 forever.
Sailor Saturn's dominant color was purple (choker, collar, elbow fittings of gloves, skirt, and boots), and her accent colors were white (tiara gem, earrings, front middle of choker, and center of front bow) and maroon (front and back bows). Her choker had a white six-pointed star, her collar had no stripes, her shoulder pads resembled flower petals, and the center of her front bow was a white crystal, similar in appearance to Pure Heart Crystals. Her gloves were elbow length with elbow fittings unique among the Senshi. Her boots were knee high and laced up in the front.
When she transformed into Super Sailor Saturn, her earrings and boots remained the same, her glove fittings were identical to that of the other Senshi, her choker had a yellow star attached to it, her collar had one white stripe, and the center of her front bow was a violet heart. She had the regular shoulder pads with translucent parts, and the back waist bow was enlarged and lengthened. In the manga, the star on her choker had a purple gemstone in the center.
During the Silver Millennium, Sailor Saturn was also the Princess of her home planet. She was among those given the duty of protecting the galaxy's Outer Rim. As Princess Saturn, she dwelt in Titan Castle and wore a dark purple gown with gloves—she appears in this form in the original manga and in supplementary art. Unlike the other Senshi, it is stated that Saturn did not awaken in the Silver Millennium until after it was destroyed so Princess Saturn's exact status during that time is unclear.
When she transformed into Eternal Sailor Saturn, her choker was V-shaped and the center of her front bow was a lavender five-pointed star in her maroon front bow. Her shoulder pads were large lavender puffs with two patches of purple fabric attached to the bottom. Her gloves became longer, reaching to her upper arms. Her belt consisted of two ribbons, one purple and one lavender, with two long, thin back ribbons, clipped together by a golden five-pointed star. Her back bow was lavender. Her skirt became two-layered, the top layer being purple and the bottom lavender. Her boots were knee-high and white, and each had a purple V-shaped border with a golden five-pointed star at the top. Her tiara gem was a purple five-pointed star and her earrings were dangling, purple five-pointed stars.
In the manga, the spirit/soul of Sailor Saturn herself awakens with the great power of the three Talismans united: the Garnet Orb, the Space Sword, and the Deep Aqua Mirror. Her awakening was greatly feared by the three Outer Sailor Senshi, who believed that upon awakening, her tremendously strong destructive powers would bring about the end of all existence, as she did the same during the Silver Millennium which the Outer Senshi had witnessed: by dropping the Silence Glaive with the intention of bringing about the end of everything and everyone, she turned everything to utter nothingness and oblivion.
When Pharaoh 90 began to overwhelm the Sailor Senshi, and Sailor Moon had jumped into him hoping to unleash the power of the Silver Crystal to destroy him, the three talismans reacted and Sailor Saturn awoke within Hotaru. But, contrary to the belief of the Outer Senshi, Saturn uses her powers of death and destruction to send Pharaoh 90 back to the Tau Nebula and Sailor Pluto seals the portal with Saturn along with him. Sailor Saturn uses Death Reborn Revolution to tremendously weaken Pharaoh 90, who felt overwhelmed by vast amounts of negative energy. Super Sailor Moon uses her power and Sailor Saturn returns, having been successfully reborn and reincarnated as a newborn Hotaru Toemo after using her powers to the greatest extent. The three Outer Senshi took her to raise as their own child.
After the events at Mugen Academy, Setsuna, Michiru, and Haruka lived and raised little Hotaru together. Six months after Nehellenia arrived, Hotaru saw a vision of her reincarnation, Sailor Saturn, who had awoken once more. She presents the Outer Senshi with their own Sailor Crystals so they could transform into Super Sailor Soldiers' and help the other six Super Sailor Senshi fight the Dead Moon Circus.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Weapons and ItemsEdit
- Death Reborn Revolution
- Silence Wall
- Silence Glaive Surprise
- Galactica Glaive Surprise
- Galactica Cannon
- Death Ribbon Revolution
In early concept art, Sailor Saturn's weapon was a brown staff, her shoulder pads were purple, she wore a ring on her right hand, her brooch was a purple circle rather than a crystal, and her choker and earrings were different. The borders of her boots were also an upside down "V" shape and the borders of her gloves ended in a point.
- Sailor Saturn also perishes whenever she uses her deathly, destructive powers to their full strength and potential. But after using her power, she is reborn and reincarnated as a newborn baby as Hotaru Tomoe, her lookalike reincarnation until she is needed again.
- In two volumes in the Polish version of the manga, Sailor Saturn's name was mistakenly translated as "Sailor Sautarna." In later volumes, she was called "Sailor Saturn."
- In Roman mythology, the god Saturn carries a scythe. Interestingly enough, Saturn is the Roman equivalent of the Greek Kronos, the Titan, father of the original Olympic Deities, which is not to be mistaken with Chronos, the God of Time, who in Sailor Moon is stated to be the father of Sailor Pluto.
- Sailor Saturn's planetary symbol (♄) stands for the sickle or scythe of the Roman god, which she also carries as a weapon.
- In alchemy, lead is symbolized by ♄.
- Sailor Saturn is the tenth and last Sailor Soldier of the Silver Millennium to appear.
- Sailor Saturn is the second youngest Sailor Senshi, with Sailor Chibi Moon being the youngest of them all.
- This, however, could be contradicted, as Sailor Chibi Moon is actually more than 900 years old.
- Sailor Saturn is on the cover art of volume ten of the reprint manga.
- It is implied that unlike the other 8 senshi, Sailor Saturn was not active during the Silver Millenium, and was awakened for the first time only after the Moon Kingdom was destroyed by the Dark Kingdom.
- It could be said that in terms of magical power, Sailor Saturn is the second strongest senshi in the Solar System, after Sailor Moon.
- She also holds another weapon: the brown staff in the Materials Collection but it was never used.